Wednesday, March 09, 2005

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE Blues

On the old 280Z I had, you could change the oil in like five minutes. Everything was clearly seen and easily reached. Of course, it's catastrophic engine problems meant oil changes were bi-weekly, but I try not to think about things like that when Iget all nostalgic. So anyway, it's tune-up time for the 20-years-newer Sentra, and things aren't going as smoothly. I just discovered that the oil filter of my new(ish) car is located somewhere that would be somewhat difficult to reach if I had one of those professional hoist thingies they raise the whole car with. Needless to say, it will be an adventure to change with a plain ol' jack. Stupid sideways engines. Also, I've apparently lost my filter wrench, and the oil pan I spent eight bucks on yesterday (when I probably could have just borrowed one from my brother) has a hole in it. It's propped up on a crappy old towel, so the oil runs toward the unholy side. Oh yeah, I didn't mention that I figured this all out AFTER I drained all the oil out of my car. So I can't go exchange the pan or get a wrench or anything like that.

From now on, I'm paying other people to change my fucking oil.

And oh yeah, I need to buy a new, smaller spark plug socket.

1 comment:

suplexmasta said...

Could be worse. On some late-90's Dodge cars, you have to remove the front left tire to change the spark plug, battery, or oil.