Monday, August 14, 2006

Neat Random Used CD Find

I was on the west side of town today, doing my usual weekly routine, where I go to Big Lots for cheap cereal and canned food, then head over to Hastings for a while, where I'll look at things I can't afford, then get bored and leave. But today, I had to actually spend money there. $8.99, to be exact. I was looking through the used CDs, and something caught my eye. It was Metallica's Kill 'Em All, but something looked wrong with it. The spine was WHITE. I've seen a bunch of that CD; hell, I actually own two copies of it. (one with "Garage Days Revisited" as bonus tracks, and one without that I had to buy when the first one got scratched too bad to play on a track or two) Upon closer inspection, it was the original Megaforce Records release of the album, with no mentions of Elektra or "E/M Ventures" on it anywhere. Not sure if it's rare enough to be worth anything, but it's definitely rare, and there's at least one guy trying to sell it on Ebay right now for 69 dollars. Anyway, here are some pictures:
First, the front cover. The colors seem a bit different, with the picture not looking so white, and the letters being a lot brighter, almost orange in some places. Also, the title of the CD is like twice as big as on the normal version. For a comparison, here's the front cover of the 1994 version.
Inside, there's a huge difference, as there's no booklet of lyrics or anything. It's just one white page with a few credits.
The back cover is where the huge differences lie. It doesn't resemble the usual version at all, and even has the Rich "Banger" Burch misquote, "bang the head that doesn't bang," (it's supposed to be "that," instead of "the") intact, and they leave the second T out of Kirk Hammett's last name.
And, in case you care, here's the actual CD, which sounds no different from the version everyone else has.

Neat.

No comments: