Monday, September 18, 2006

THE CONVERSION PROJECT #1


Since I had the money, I bought a record player today. Actually, I bought one twice. Went to Best Buy, and they had one that was like 15 bucks off for being an open item, (red flag) so I got it. Then, I got it home, hooked it up, and realized that there was a reason it had been opened and returned, and the damn thing didn't play at the right speed. Instead of 33 RPM, it was more like 28 or so. So I took it back with the intention of trading it in for the unopened, full-priced one, and just paying the difference, only to discover that the unopened one also had the 15 bucks taken off for no apparent reason. So I wasted a bunch of time by going for the cheaper one in the first place. But anyway, yeah, I have a record player now. And I don't have many records, maybe ten or so, but a few of them aren't available on CD. So now, I've got the turntable hooked up to the computer, and I'm converting the things to a more modern format, and eventually, I'm going to get around to doing the same with a few cassettes I have.
First up is something I picked up on Ebay for like five bucks earlier this year, that really seemed as though it should have cost more than that. It's the 1971 first album by legendary Southern comedian and Grand Ole Opry star Jerry Clower, entitled Jerry Clower From Yazoo City - Mississippi Talkin.' It was never released on CD, but a few of the tracks, most famously his signature bit, "A Coon Huntin' Story," (You know, the one where he goes, "knock him out, John!") are on a few compilations that have come out over the years. I figure this should make for a nice cleansing of the palate before I convert stuff like that Sacred Reich live bootleg or those Turbonegro 7"s.
Track Listing:
1. Introduction (0:20)
2. A Coon Huntin' Story (7:24)
3. Bully Has Done Flung a Cravin' On Me (2:31)
4. Baby Goes to College (7:08)
5. Homecomin' Steaks! (1:52)
6. The Graduate Returns (8:00)
7. Marcel's Talkin' Chainsaw (3:49)
8. The Chauffeur and the Professor (4:59)
9. Good Citizenship (3:48)

It's all on nine 192 Kb/s mp3 files, all crammed into one 56 megabyte (so don't even bother if you're on dialup) ZIP file.. DOWNLOAD IT HERE. And just remember that whenever I convert something else, this file gets deleted, so if you want it, you better get it now.

No comments: