Friday, December 10, 2004

Later, Dude.

I posted this on Sac's site a minute ago, and it kinda summed everything up for me well enough for me to copy and paste it here. So here you go:

I won't try and erase the shit I've said over the years or retroactively change any opinions I might have had. I didn't really care for Damageplan, I didn't like anything Pantera did before or after Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power, and you can throw in an Exhorder reference here somewhere. But all that aside, no one can ever deny that Dimebag Darrell was one of the baddest motherfuckers ever, as far as guitar goes. There are a lot of really good guitar players, but not a whole helluva lot where you can hear a solo and immediately know who it is, even if it's a song you've never heard before by a band other than their normal one. I can't tell the Dave Mustaine solos apart from the Chris Poland or Marty Friedman ones, and all those guys who make livings more off their sheer guitar-wankery than what band they're in or what their songs sound like (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, etc.) all kinda blend together for me. But aside from maybe Jimi Hendrix, Darrell was the only guy where I could hear something like an Anthrax song he guest-starred on, and without reading any liner notes or anything, go, "hey, that's a Dimebag Darrell solo." Someone like that doesn't come along very often.

But honestly, who gives a fuck about bands or guitar solos or whatever. The big, goofy, Texan fucker I saw swapping joking insults with Billy Milano on that S.O.D. video, the guy whose dream was to have "Cowboys From Hell" being played when the Dallas Cowboys came out on the field, and the guy who I've never heard anyone honestly say anything about isn't around anymore. And he's gone for no fucking reason. And that SUCKS.


1966-2004

No comments: